Healthcare Course Level 2
This programme is designed to provide you with the essential knowledge and practical skills you need to gain entry level work in a health or wellbeing-related service. Students will learn how to care for elderly people in their home or in an age care facility. As well, how to support disabled children and adults to live full lives.
New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing, Level 2
This qualification includes tutor-facilitated classroom learning, and supervised work placement.
Learners will cover:
- The role of a support worker
- Infection control
- Moving techniques
- Personal cares
- Communication and culture
- Working safely
WHO CAN ENROL?
- Be over 16 years of age and not be enrolled at a secondary school or other tertiary organisation
- Be identified as a domestic student (one of the following):
- a New Zealand Citizen, or a New Zealand permanent resident currently living in New Zealand
- a Cook Island, Niue or Tokelau citizen
- an Australian citizen who is currently living in New Zealand, or an Australian permanent resident who has a returning resident visa and is currently living in New Zealad
- Provide a birth certificate or passport as evidence of identity
- Be a fit and proper person to provide support in the health and wellbeing sectors. Initial checks will be undertaken by Training For You. Ongoing checks may be undertaken by an employer.
AND not have an existing qualification at Level 2 on the National Qualification Framework (NQF)
Applicants are required to complete a Police vetting form and must receive a satisfactory police check to be fully enrolled in the programme of study. Satisfactory checks will be free of criminal convictions such as assault and theft. Traffic convictions will not exclude entry into the programme. Applicants will be provisionally enrolled pending a satisfactory police check.
Drug Clearance Attestation:
Employers may require students on work placement and employees to undergo a drug test prior to placement or employment. Applicants are required to complete a declaration confirming:
- their understanding of the need to be drug-free for employment; and
- a drug test result will not pose a barrier for work placement/employment.
All applicants are profiled for reading and numeracy prior to enrolment.
WHERE CAN I STUDY?
You can study at the following training centres:
- Porirua (at Capital Training Campus, delivered by Training For You)
- Whanganui (at Training For You Campus)
HOW LONG IS THE COURSE?
This is a full-time 13-week programme.
Monday-Thursday 9:00 am – 3.00 pm.
Hours will vary on placement weeks.
ARE THERE ANY COSTS?
This course is fees FREE
WHAT CAN I DO NEXT?
On completion of this qualification, graduates will have the necessary skills to gain entry-level employment in the healthcare sector or progress into a higher-level study in healthcare.
Jobs you could apply for include;
- Aged Care support person
- Disability support person
- Healthcare Assistant
- Orderly within health services
Further study could include:
- New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing, (Support Work), Level 3
- New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing, (Advanced Support), Level 4
- New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing, (Social and Community Services), Level 4
- National Certificate in Mental Health (Mental Health Support Work), Level 4
- New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Nursing Pathway), Level 4
- Diploma in Enrolled Nursing
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 13 weeks
- Skill level Level 2
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes