NZ SIGN LANGUAGE COURSE DESCRIPTION
For beginners who have no prior knowledge of NZ Sign Language, this course will introduce you to communicating using sign language in a safe and engaging environment. See NZSL4U for more information on our sign language courses available, and to learn more about Amber Shaw, our amazing tutor.
NZSL LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of this 1A NZSL course, participants will learn to:
- Exchange greetings and make introductions
- Understand simple class instructions
- Learn about the role of facial expression in NZSL
- Get and give, eyegaze before signing (requirements for visual attention)
- Master numbers 1‐10
- Fingerspelling the NZSL alphabet
- Spell their own name using NZSL
- Ask for repetition
- Identify people in the class
- Name language(s) they are learning
- Give and follow simple instructions and action commands
- Ask for clarification, correction and confirmation
- Ask and tell where something is in the class
- Use appropriate phrases for arriving and leaving class
- Use numbers for counting (0‐20) and simple time phrases in relation to class activities
- Name common food and drink items
- Make and respond to requests and offers for basic wants and needs
- Ask and tell locations of familiar objects and locations in the immediate environment
- Express likes and dislikes
- Understand basic signs about emergency exit procedures
WHO CAN ENROL?
Anyone, though there is a discounted fee for New Zealand citizens and residents – proof required.
HOW DO I ENROL & WHAT IS THE COST?
Contact NZSL4U to enquire about enrolment and costs.
HOW LONG IS THE NZ SIGN LANGUAGE COURSE?
This is an 8 week programme.
WHAT CAN I DO NEXT?
On the completion of this Level 1A New Zealand Sign Language course you may progress to the Level 1B NZSL course.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 8 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes