NZ Sign Language
For beginners who have no prior knowledge of NZ Sign Language, this course will introduce you to communicating using sign language in a safe and engaging environment. See NZSL4U for more information about Amber, our amazing tutor.
By the end of this 1A course, learners will:
- Exchange greetings and make introductions
- Understand simple class instructions
- Learn about the role of facial expression in NZSL
- Learn to get, and give, eyegaze before signing (requirements for visual attention)
- Learn numbers 1‐10
- Learn the fingerspelling alphabet
- Spell their own name
- Ask for repetition
- Identify people in the class
- Name language(s) they are learning
- Give and follow simple instructions and action commands
- Ask for clarification, correction and confirmation
- Ask and tell where something is in the class
- Use appropriate phrases for arriving and leaving class
- Use numbers for counting (0‐20) and simple time phrases in relation to class activities
- Name common food and drink items
- Make and respond to requests and offers for basic wants and needs
- Ask and tell locations of familiar objects and locations in the immediate environment
- Express likes and dislikes
- Understand basic signs about emergency exit procedures
WHO CAN ENROL?
Anyone, though there is a discounted fee for NZ citizens and residents – proof required.
HOW LONG IS THE COURSE?
This is an 8 week programme.
ARE THERE ANY COSTS?
- Internationals: $165.00 incl. GST
- NZ citizens and residents: $65.00 incl. GST
WHAT CAN I DO NEXT?
On the completion of this Level 1A course you may progress to the Level 1B NZSL course.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 8 Weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 18
- Assessments Yes